Monday, 29 December 2014

10 things I miss about being pregnant



Some days I really miss being pregnant. The Stuntman is now 17 months old, so I haven’t been pregnant for nearly a year and a half, and I have no plans to become pregnant (D will be pleased to read this), but some days I just can’t stop thinking about it, and reminiscing about my two pregnancies.


While there are plenty of things I don’t miss about being pregnant, like the back pain, hourly trips to the loo and horrendously swollen (c)ankles, for the most part I found being pregnant a really magical experience.

Here are 10 things I miss about being pregnant:


1. The feeling that you have a very special secret
Walking around with another person growing inside you is a pretty intense feeling, and it starts from the moment you find out that you’re pregnant. This can be several months before you start to look pregnant, so for that first part you feel like you are harbouring the most delicious secret. I would often get distracted from what I was doing just by the thought of my beautiful bundle growing inside me; overcome with joy, I’d smile dreamily at whoever I was talking to, and sometimes even laugh out loud. Bit awkward when you’re in a budget meeting.

2. Pregnancy hormones
Pregnancy does some pretty crazy things to a woman’s body, and it’s all down to a cocktail of super strength hormones. While hormones often get a bad rap in relation to women’s moods (“OMG she’s SO hormonal!), some of them can also be amazingly positive. Oxytocin, also known as the ‘love hormone’, can make you feel completely loved up, like you’re in a world of your own. Oxytocin really kicks in during labour and after birth, making you feel like superwoman, and is also released during breastfeeding. Another hormone, Relaxin, true to its name, relaxes all the ligaments in your body, making you more flexible (but also more prone to injury, so be careful!). Surging levels of oestrogen and progesterone can do wonderful things to your skin, hair and nails, and can also increase your sex drive (I say *can*, not will!).

3. Maternity jeans
I absolutely lived in my maternity jeans throughout both pregnancies, and wore them well into the first year after both babies were born. Even after I’d lost my baby weight! Maternity jeans are just about the most comfortable thing I’ve ever worn – no horrible metal buttons to dig in, lovely soft, stretchy denim, and a cotton stretch panel to go over (or under) your bump. They are like denim tracksuit pants. I love them, and would still be wearing them now if I hadn’t actually worn holes through them.

4. The ‘glow’
Now, not everyone gets the glow. Some pregnant women feel like crap from start to finish, and look the same, but I generally looked and felt really good. My skin was clear and smooth, my hair was lustrous and thick, and I even managed to grow real ‘lady’s nails’! Hooray for hormones!

5. Naps
When you’re pregnant, you are actively encouraged to nap during the day, and to rest as much as possible. It’s awesome. During my first pregnancy, I’d come home from work and have a nap for an hour, then wake up and eat dinner, then go back to bed. Bliss.
Naps were a little harder to come by during my second pregnancy due to the toddler I was running around after, but I still managed to squeeze in a few while Little Miss had her day sleeps. I put my feet up as much as I could and didn’t feel the slightest bit of guilt – I was growing a human after all.

6. VIP treatment
People give up their seat for you on the train (mostly), you get offered glasses of water in random places, fellow shoppers offer to hold your bags… having a pregnant woman around can really bring out the best in people.

7. Not feeling guilty about eating or putting on weight
Like a lot of women, I have some serious hang-ups around food – how much I should be eating, what I should be eating, and how terrible it is that I’ve just eaten [fill in the blanks with your favourite temptation]. During pregnancy however, all that guilt just disappeared for me. If I wanted four Tim Tams, I ate four Tim Tams. Hot chips and gravy for lunch? Yes please. As long as I had some vegies with dinner, I felt perfectly OK with eating what I wanted. It was, after all, what the baby wanted, obviously. It was liberating, but possibly a little too much. It left me with a fair chunk of baby weight to shift afterwards, particularly the first time!

8. Feeling part of a club
When you’re pregnant, you share an instant connection with all other pregnant women you cross paths with. Even if it’s just a friendly nod and a smile across a train carriage, you have a special bond, you’re on a shared journey. Now, as a mother of two, I’m in the ‘mothers’ club’, but that one is more about a shared sense of frustration and understanding, rather than the sweet anticipation and excitement that pregnancy brings.

9. Daydreaming
I spent a lot of time during both of my pregnancies daydreaming about what my kids would be like, who they’d look like, what they’d be good at, how our family would work. Now that they’re here, I still fantasise about what kind of people they’ll become, but it’s much more grounded in reality. And I can’t daydream for too long or one of them is likely to break something.

10. The bump
The thing I miss most of all is my bump. I used to love to rub and caress it, feeling the different shapes beneath and trying to figure out what bit was what in there. I had two very different bumps for my two pregnancies – first time around I looked like I’d swallowed a watermelon sideways (Little Miss was posterior, and I carried a lot of fluid), and the second time I was much more compact and looked more like I’d stuffed a basketball up my top. 

Neither of my bumps was anything like the ‘movie-style’ bumps you see in commercials or in pregnancy and baby books, but I loved them and was completely attached to them. After I had my babies I remember feeling desperately sad that my bump was gone, for weeks afterwards, even though the product of that bump was lying in my arms.

To all the pregnant women out there – enjoy it! It doesn’t last long, and, while it can be uncomfortable, scary and sometimes embarrassing (random incontinence anyone??), it is a unique experience that you’ll carry with you forever.

What do you love most about being pregnant?
  
The Honest Mum's #brilliantblogpost linky

The List

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful post and I so agree with your list. I loved being pregnant and those maternity jeans were so comfy - I wore mine pretty much constantly from my 1st pregnancy right through until shortly after Sophie was born when they finally fell apart! I missed my bump hugely for those first few days after my girls were born - I remember sitting in front of the TV one night when Sophie was a few days old and sobbing because whilst I loved Sophie, I missed 'Pod' (my nickname for my bump). Good old hormones! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it's not just me crying over my bump! Yay for hormones! x

      Delete
  2. I definitely miss being pregnant. The whole buzz of it all is amazing. Have to admit that my twin pregnancy at the time didn't give me mych to miss as it was so hard but I absolutely loved all the scans and seeing the girls so much x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes get 'bump envy' when I see pregnant ladies but to be honest, the back pain is still fresh in my mind (it's only been 9 months PP) but still, I can't wait to do it all again someday.

    #TheList

    Jenna at Tinyfootsteps xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, my last pregnancy was 17 months ago so the awful bits have faded from my memory a bit... Although my back is still pretty stuffed!

      Delete
  4. I miss my bump lots my son is four months and i missed it from the moment he was born. The thing i miss the most is feeling him kick as it was so magical. I have to keep reminding myself of all the things i hated about pregnancy though so that i dont get to broody as i already have three children and im not planning anymore xx #TheList

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes those little kicks are beautiful - until you get a big one in the bladder or the ribs that takes your breath away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having excuses to be able to eat crap like chocolate etc.
    I don't like the rolling out of bed thing and constant kicking when I try to relax on the couch.
    But will definitely miss the glow. #TheList

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They always seem to know when you're trying to relax don't they?

      Delete
  7. Awww I miss all of those things to. Great post. #TheList

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I love your enthusiasm for the mama jean!! I lived in mine too but I was keen to be out of them after bump was done with...as for naps. I still have them as often as possible. I'd have them daily if I could (I even wrote a post about it!!) xx

    Thanks for linking up! #TheList

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would seriously still be wearing them now if I could! Might have to invest in some jeggings instead... ;)

      Delete
  9. Hehe I was just thinking today I miss pregnancy. My GP told me pregnancy balances hormones so you actually feel better most of the time albeit more emotional. Loved this and now broodier than ever! Thanks for linking up to #brilliantblogposts, please add my badge or link back, thanks x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki :) For every memory of pain and discomfort, I've got 3 or 4 more of joy and excitement...x

      Delete
  10. I think I miss feeling a little person push out at me and their siblings from inside ... magic!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...